Sunday, September 11, 2016

What really "Matters"

Wow! It sure has been a busy couple of weeks here in second grade.  We have finally had almost a full week and I am anticipating this 5 day week ahead.  From me having pink eye and strep, to hurricane Hermane we have a full week to learn and embrace the classroom! Here goes nothing.

So when it comes to teaching, what really matters?  What will the students remember and what do they need to learn? Somethings have worked and somethings have not but I will tell you my students come daily ready and prepared for fun.  One of our vocab words last week was DEPEND, my favorite sentence that a student used as an example was "We DEPEND on you, Ms. G to have a fun day planned for us."  That is exactly right, the day WILL be fun and we WILL learn.
I have decided I am going to do my best and pick out my favorite lesson of the week each week.  I want to reflect upon many things but not only what we have done but why I have enjoyed it so much.

Lesson of the week #1:

This week I have chosen our science lesson we have spent time learning about properties and matter.  I really do enjoy teaching hands on, I understand that every lesson is not going to involve food but sometimes it really does help :) We had the opportunity to make coke floats, and my students have mastered what a solid, liquid, and a gas is.  I truly believe for students to remember you have to make it fun and interesting.  I am not going to remember something boring so why would they? We also use an interactive science notebook which was purchased off of TPT which is wonderful to go along with the CCSS and our weekly objectives! (Thank you, Primary Graffiti)










No comments:

Post a Comment